LF AI & Data Foundation—the organization building an ecosystem to sustain open source innovation in artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), deep learning (DL), and data open source projects, today is announcing Datashim as its latest Incubation Project.
Datashim is enabling and accelerating data access for Kubernetes/Openshift workloads in a transparent and declarative way. Datashim was released and open sourced by IBM in September of 2019 and is growing to support use-cases related to data access in AI projects.
Dr. Ibrahim Haddad, Executive Director of LF AI & Data, said: “We’re excited to welcome Datashim as our latest incubation project in LF AI & Data. The project is enabling and accelerating data access for Kubernetes/Openshift workloads in a transparent and declarative way. It offers a user-friendly experience to users who face challenges in configuring data access. We look forward to working with the community to grow the project’s footprint and to create new collaboration opportunities with our members and other hosted projects.”
Datashim provides benefits across various entities:
- Data Scientists/Engineers: Focus on workload/experiments development and not on configuring/tuning data access
- Storage Providers: Increase adoption since the framework is extensible without hindering the user experience
- Data-oriented Frameworks: Can build capabilities (caching, scheduling) on top of Datashim using a declarative way to access/manage data sources
Datashim supports connection to S3, NFS, HostPath-based data sources and will expand to support more in the future.
Yiannis Gkoufas, the project lead for Datashim, said: “We are very excited to be part of LF AI & Data and look forward to making Datashim a catalyst for bigger adoption of hosted projects, especially those targeting Kubernetes environments.”
LF AI & Data supports projects via a wide range of services, and the first step is joining as an Incubation Project. LF AI & Data will support the neutral open governance for Datashim to help foster the growth of the project. Learn more about Datashim on their GitHub and be sure to join the Datashim-Announce and Datashim-Technical-Discuss mail lists to join the community and stay connected on the latest updates.
A warm welcome to Datashim! We look forward to the project’s continued growth and success as part of the LF AI & Data Foundation. To learn about how to host an open source project with us, visit the LF AI & Data website.
Datashim Key Links
- Mailing Lists:
LF AI & Data Resources
- Learn about membership opportunities
- Explore the interactive landscape
- Check out our technical projects
- Join us at upcoming events
- Read the latest announcements on the blog
- Subscribe to the mailing lists
- Follow us on Twitter or LinkedIn
- Access other resources on LF AI & Data’s GitHub or Wiki